I hope that you are familiar with Raspberry Pi and know about various SBC’s (Single Board Computers). Just like a Raspberry Pi we have Orange Pi from a Chinese Manufacturer. These are cheap SBC’s just like a Raspberry pi and run Linux as their operating system known as Armbian, similar to Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi. Therefore in this blog i will be talking about how to setup, install and boot your Orange Pi with Armbian.
Note:- Armbian comes in two Linux flavors Debian and Ubuntu.
Installing Armbian on Orange Pi Zero
- Download the original Armbian image from the official Armbian website [We may download using the HTTP link or using a torrent engine such as Deluge, Bittorrent, utorrent, etc]. We will download the full version to avoid any network/backup related issues afterwards.
- Now you may download open sourced Etcher application for Mac or Linux and Win32 Disk Imager for Windows [Etcher is also available for Windows but Win32 disk imager is recommended while working with windows].
- Now we have downloaded the Armbian OS(Debian Stretch) image and the burning software such as Etcher.
- Next insert your micro SD card using Micro SD to SD adapter or using a USB card reader into your Mac/PC and launch the Etcher/Win32 application.
- Next locate your Armbian Image file and the Micro SD drive, start the burning process.
- Once the burning has finished, remove your SD card and insert it into your Orange Pi. Your Orange Pi is ready for first boot.
- Download and Open Fing application on your mobile phone and get the IP address of your Orange Pi.
- Now login into you Orange Pi using ssh. We will login as root user for the first time. Please refer the below syntax, let us consider our IP address of Orange Pi is 192.168.1.4.
Note :- The default password for pi user will be “1234”. To change this default password please refer the blog “Raspberry Pi password management : How to reset passwords on linux“.
If you have an orange pi you can proceed with all the tutorials on this blog. All the Raspberry Pi software will work on this cheap alternative. So you can go ahead and purchase your Orange Pi from Aliexpress in less than Rs. 1000 or $15 USD.
Hope you have enjoyed learning something new in the SBC world. I love to learn and share new thing with you all. Therefore please like, share and subscribe to our youtube channel and for continuous learning you can bookmark our blog URL. This will give us motivation to bring more such learning to you all 🙂 .